Sunday, January 16, 2011

This is Bradley’s Great Grandad (87)

If Bradley can write a blog, then so can I. Young’un (aged 58) has been staying with me for the week, for a refresher course and I think that you all would like to know how he has been getting on.


Firstly, as you would expect, I had to be on hand to make sure that he cleaned his shoes properly. I am not sure about the trainers that he goes around in these days, but we have morning inspection for his black shoes, to make sure that my face can be seen in them.

Secondly, certain wasteful habits have been creeping into the day to day routine of the younger generation and it is my duty to make sure that Young’un hasn’t slipped into any of these. A quick inspection of his hair revealed that Hazel has him in good order on this score.

I have reminded him to make sure he stirs his tea properly. We can’t have piles of unused sugar at the bottom of the cup, now, can we. (He tells me that he has given up sugar, but I check anyway, just in case). On the same note, I have had to point out to him that one tea bag can perfectly easily make two cups of tea, instead of one per cup. And as for lights, he is obviously a shareholder in the Electricity companies, as he goes around leaving the lights and various appliances on, all over the house.

On the evening routines, I have emphasised the importance of a whisky and two episodes of Black Adder. He seemed to take to this idea quite well, so all is not yet lost.

But it has been good for me having him around. It has been a refreshing change for me to have to get up before 7.00, just so I can run him down to the station. It is so much fun, being woken up by the alarm, and I am dreading the thought, when he goes, of having to lie in bed until 8.00 am or even later.

My lounge settee will miss him as well. It had a good workout, after Ipswich scored their winning goal against Arsenal. We both leapt out of our chairs (or settee), as much in surprise and amazement, as anything. It is a miracle that we did not go through the ceiling.

Mark you, as he was unable to secure any points for Bournemouth Football Club, my football team (on Sky TV), after I had gone to all the trouble of fetching the fish and chips, I reckon that he still has a lot to learn.

As for his Navigation, this is terrible and probably irredeemably so. About a year ago, on the drive to Heathrow Airport, he didn’t notice the turn-off for the M4, and we nearly ended up driving towards Watford. I seem to remember that, at the time, we were discussing whether the U.K. should stay in the EEC, so not much of a distraction there. As for last Saturday, Young’un carefully and skilfully directed us into the Taxi ranks to pick up passengers. He claims that he only reads German now, and that “Taxis Only” was a bit unclear.

He’s obviously going to have to come back for a further refresher.

No comments:

Post a Comment