Saturday, November 17, 2012

The English speak English

I promised in the email accompanying my last blog that I would write something nice about England.

I have spent over 10 years in Switzerland now. When it comes to the tests to see how far you’ve gone native, I score pretty well. On returning to Norwich (which is a part of England, for those of you who did not know) for a few months, I did better than expected in adapting to my “new culture”.

Just before coming back to England for five months, I was asked by a friend what I particularly liked about Switzerland. My answer was pretty poor (railways, mountains, etc – I did not even mention low taxes), so I was motivated to keep some notes, while in Norwich, of what I liked, disliked or just observed about England or Switzerland.

The list was fairly long on all three counts, with some surprising entries (e.g. I like the suggested recipes on the sides of sauces in English supermarkets. You might not think is important, but as an amateur chef, I came to like this).

But I know that you have all read the title, so you know what is coming next.

I was in a car park with Hazel by a store like B & Q – it wasn’t B & Q, but that is not the point. The point was that a man, who had parked next to us, came up and I made a complementary observation about his car. Within 5 minutes of banter back and forth, he had told me how old the car was, how old he was, how many grandchildren he had and so on and he probably heard similar information about me. (As we were both male, we will both have forgotten everything within 90 seconds, except that I remember that his car was red – I think).

Yes – English is my native language and this was England. I consider myself something of an expert of the English language, having used it from a very early age. However, as I was forcibly reminded with some disdain by a German lady in Zurich, “Colin, you have been in Switzerland for 10 years and you still don’t speak German fluently”. You have to admire the motivational words.

And yes – in Tesco Express on the Unthank Road “Hier spricht man Englisch” – Hurrah. Time for some banter about the weather, the Olympics, BBQs in the rain, Princess Katie or whatever else was on everyone’s mind at the time or having a minor rant (in English) about the automatic pay machines.

I have become convinced that banter (and probably humour and swearing) is only done well in one’s mother tongue. Here in Switzerland, because I can say “Grüezi” (normal greeting) with a reasonably good accent, I receive in return some sentiments in the local dialect. This is both flattering and totally reasonable. However, my response has to be (in my best German) “Sorry, but I am English, however, I speak some high (formal) German.”

This leads either to the conversation coming to an end or just as likely to a perfectly formed sentence in English from the other person, who having been to university in England, speaks fluent English. This is not the same as banter.

Best places for banter are: car parks, supermarket check-outs, fish and chip shops, (but not in Indian takeaways), bus stops when it is pouring with rain and buying theatre tickets. You may have other suggestions.

When we first arrived in Norwich (England), we had to force ourselves not ask whether they spoke English. (There was one occasion when I spoke to a cashier in the local Tesco Express in German by accident). Imagine being in a street in England and someone asking you if you speak English. I know that England has become multicultural, but that would be too much.

So it is probably true. The English are just not good at languages. We don’t get enough practice. And why should we – everyone else speaks English. Are we spoiled or just lazy? Perhaps a bit of both.

In the meantime, to answer my friend’s question, one of the things I like about England is that everyone speaks English.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment