Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I am a Hero (and Stretching before Starbucks)

You may already know that I am planning to complete a mini Triathlon in April. This has required frequent (but short) training sessions, with my co-mini-triathlete, Jim. Cycling training has not yet started, because of the weather, but the swimming and running is ahead of schedule.

Today was running. The temperature outside was 2 degrees, which sounds bad. However, even with the wind factor, this is better than minus 2 degrees, as the ice has mostly melted (or bad, if you prefer an excuse to stay indoors).

To my shame, I failed to appreciate the cry of one of my colleagues, who exclaimed “You are my Hero”. My English reserve came to the front. I replied “Why?” Quickly recovering from this bad start, “But of course. Am I not I everybody’s hero?” Overdoing it somewhat now.

---------------------------------------
The secret of running in public, when it is cold (and you would rather be indoors, instead of being one of your colleague’s heroes), is to walk fast, but make it look as if you are running. This is the athletic equivalent of a PowerPoint Presentation, This will be recognisable to those of you familiar with the art of taking nothing and making it appear like a strategic change for a multi-national company.

---------------------------------------
On returning from my run, a college from Finance said that he had thought of going jogging, but decided to buy a Starbucks coffee instead. After brief discussion on this point, we decided that this must be the equivalent of 5 km. Of course, as a good fellow athlete, I reminded him of the need to stretch before and after drinking Starbucks.

Perhaps, it is necessary to stretch before and after PowerPoint Presentations.

1 comment:

  1. Jim - fellow tri-athelete and mini heroFebruary 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM

    Everything Colin says is true! Even I, without Colin's matinee idol looks, get admiring glances as I walk through the office in my jogging gear to confront Artic winds in Lycra leggings. Male colleagues say: I must do more exercise, and female ones: ooh, you are so sporty! (If it were the other way round, Colin would lose his training buddy straight away). Of course, they do not know that I am a disciple of Colin's slow motion, strategic PowerPoint presentation style of exercise. Ego boosted, hamstrings intact. What more can I say?

    ReplyDelete