Thursday, March 4, 2010

Has Spring arrived?


Three days ago, when out walking, we heard a woodpecker. Then again the next day, back at the apartment, it was the same fast drilling and unmistakable sound of a woodpecker.

This morning, two sparrows were chasing each other, looking very lively. I have no idea what they were doing.

The snow in Laax (at 3,500 feet) has melted. The meadows, at this time of year normally serving as a toboggan run, are looking bare, as is the ski run down to Falera (at 4,250 feet) – (see photos). The first butterfly in Switzerland has been spotted (so I am told). All this caused by unseasonally warm 10° weather (50° in old money).

The Swiss snow has, in the meantime, moved to the British Isles. I hear that Scotland has more snow than the rest of Europe. Perhaps Scotland will export it. Scottish ski resorts are enjoying a boom and British motorists are learning the benefits of snow chains and winter tyres.

Perhaps spring is coming early to Switzerland. I am getting my swimming trunks out ready to swim in the lake, and my shorts and T-Shorts are standing ready for some serious hiking.

But then, perhaps not. The grass has not yet started to turn green and the ducks have not returned to the Laax lake. The weather could still make fools of us all. A cold snap, 3 feet of snow overnight and the usual chaos will ensue. Yes, three feet of snow overnight will be noticed even here.

I enjoy spring. So getting more value for my money out of ski pass or seeing the spring flowers and feeding the ducks, I win either way.

(Where do the Laax ducks go for the winter?)

No comments:

Post a Comment